Holiday shopping, parties, and concerts are fun for everyone during the holiday season. But between trips to the mall, tree lightings, and festive dinners with extended family and friends, your kids can easily become overwhelmed this time of year. Find a way to schedule some downtime this year, and your family will enjoy those quiet moments amidst the hustle and bustle.
- Hole up inside. Pop some popcorn for movie night. Build a fort out of pillows and blankets. Remind your family that sometimes, quiet, special times with family can be even more fulfilling than presents and sweets.
- Head outdoors. The holiday season is famously a time when people forget to exercise. With the great weather in Palm Beach this time of year, take a walk with the family if one of our nature preserves, or just have a walk in the park or play catch in the backyard. Fresh air and exercise gets everyone to relax a bit.
- Routine, routine, routine. If your kids will be taking a few days away from daycare or preschool, speak with your childcare provider about their daily schedule. Sticking with regular meal times and nap times can help to keep your kids’ moods even and their energy up.
- Turn it all off. Put away your phones as much as possible. Turn off the TV and the iPad. Unless your family is watching a holiday special or a movie together, remind everyone to interact instead of retreating behind screens.
- Participate. Now is the time to get involved in your kids’ preferred activities, such as playing with new toys, baking cookies, or decorating the house. Show them that you’re all a team.
What kinds of family activities are you planning this holiday season? How will you snag some special downtime with your kids? Let us know in the comments section.