From tomatoes and watermelons to asparagus and cucumbers, your local grocery store or farmer’s market is brimming with fresh and delicious produce this time of year. Take advantage of this summer’s crops to make healthy and tasty meals, snacks, and desserts for the whole family.
- Blackberry Citrus Granola Bowl. Blackberries are a juicy and flavorful summer fruit, and they taste delivious when paired with any citrus you may have on hand. Add the fruit to granola with almond, soy, or dairy milk for breakfast!
- Basil Pesto Pasta. Mincing or grinding basil with olive oil, garlic, parmesan, and pine nuts is a great way to use this fresh herb that really shines in the summer time. Make a batch and top your pasta with it at dinnertime.
- Spanish Chicken and Rice. This modified version of arroz con pollo makes use of green and red bell peppers, which are abundant in the summertime. Sautee chicken with onions and garlic, add the bell peppers, and flavor with paprika. This chicken goes well with yellow rice or saffron rice.
- Grilled Peaches. This is a healthy dessert that’s super simple to make. Add peach slices to your outdoor grill and wait until they have visible grill marks. Then serve drizzled with balsamic vinegar and add a scoop of ice cream if you like!
- Caprese Salad. Layer summery tomatoes with fresh basil and mozzarella cheese and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper for an easy summer salad.
- Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil. Tomatoes and basil always work well together. Sautee cherry tomatoes in olive oil and add garlic and basil for a light pasta sauce that’s simple to make.
- Watermelon Lemon Popsicles. On a hot day, these are easy to whip up. Put watermelon chunks in the blender and add a dash of lemon juice. Pour the mix into popsicle molds and serve to the kids when frozen!
- Pickled Cucumber Salad. Cucumbers are super fresh in the summer, and can be eaten in a variety of ways. Let them marinate in vinegar, salt and pepper, and dill for a crunchy and tangy snack.
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta Salad. Grilled asparagus always tastes like summertime. Top your pasta salad with this green veggie, and add lemon juice, rosemary, and parmesan.
- Blueberry Mango Smoothie. For a healthy breakfast on-the-go, add two cups of frozen blueberries and mango to your blender, a half cup of Greek yogurt, a tablespoon of honey, and enough coconut water to cover.
We love trading recipes with local families. What are some of your favorite go-to recipes in the summertime? Let us know in the comments section!